COSHOCTON, Ohio — The Coshocton man named as a suspect in the fabricated report of an officer’s shooting last week says he will file a civil lawsuit against the involved law enforcement agencies.

Chaz Gillilan told WCMH-TV in Columbus on Wednesday that he has a lengthy criminal record, but insists he’s no cop killer. Authorities across Ohio were on-the-lookout for the 28-year-old after Newcomerstown Police Officer Bryan Eubanks said Gillilan shot him during a traffic stop in the village on April 11.

Gillilan said he called authorities 19 times as he drove to the Newcomerstown Police Department to turn himself in last Tuesday. He was cleared of all involvement hours after the Ohio Blue Alert was issued, and Tuscarawas County authorities have since reported that Eubanks’ story was fabricated to cover up the fact that he shot himself.

Still, Gillilan says that photos of his face and of his home, surrounded by a SWAT team, continue to accompany Internet posts that label him as “the man who shot a cop.”

Gillilan and his wife say they are now filing a civil lawsuit against the Coshocton and Newcomerstown police departments. He says that he and his family will likely have to leave town in order to start over, with a clean slate.

Eubanks tendered his resignation on Tuesday after confessing to the deception. His case has been turned over to the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Investigation for consideration of charges.