CAMBRIDGE, Ohio – Springtime invites you to remember the carefree days of your youth with memories of warmer days and trees in bloom. School will soon be out and summertime will usher in the opportunity to spend much-needed time together as a family.
Guernsey County, in Southeast Ohio, offers the perfect place to enjoy a multi-generational getaway. Here are a few suggestions of places you’ll enjoy as much as your grandkids will.
- Guernsey County History Museum – Explore the museum’s one-room school house. Back in the day your “tablet” was a piece of chalk and the blackboard. Or discover the life-like replica of a coal mine from the 1890s. Open April through December on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays.
- Cambridge Wooden Toy Company – For over 37 years, master craftsman Brian C. Gray has been creating handmade steam locomotives from walnut, along with toys for the young and young at heart (marble trees, whistles, boats, cars, and more). Take a personal tour guided by the craftsman himself and shop for heirloom gifts to give or keep. Open Monday – Saturday.
- Kennedy’s Bakery – There’s nothing like a tasty treat between you and your grandkids. The aroma of freshly baked glazed donuts, sugar cookies, cakes and other goodies envelope you the moment you walk through the door. “The Original,” as the locals affectionately call it, is located on Wheeling Ave. in downtown Cambridge and has been part of the community since 1925. Open Monday – Saturday.
- John & Annie Glenn Museum – Guernsey County’s most notable entity is none other than former astronaut and S. Senator John Glenn. From hometown boy to space cowboy, Glenn was the region’s most recognizable former citizen. A trip to the John & Annie Glenn Museum in New Concord, Ohio tells the tale of the couple’s childhood roots. Open May – October Wednesdays – Saturdays.
- the Wilds – The Wilds is one of the largest and most innovative wildlife conservation centers in the world. Visitors can board a guided safari tour to see and learn about the endangered species living in open-range habitats. Open daily May through September and weekends in October.
For more information, contact the Cambridge/Guernsey County VCB office at 627 Wheeling Avenue, Suite 200 in downtown Cambridge, call 740-432-2022, email info@VisitGuernseyCounty.com, or log on to VisitGuernseyCounty.com.